During the British rule, Valletta started experiencing a transformation into a Victorian city showing Imperialist ideals. Various buildings enhanced this transformation including the Royal Opera House, the Main Guard and St. Paul’s Cathedral.
Another important structure which formed part of this transformation was one of the gateways leading to Valletta, which is what today we notice as the Victoria Gate. Unlike today, the main gateway to enter Valletta was not Porta Reale, but the common route was through Scesa Marina and Marina gate.
This gate was transformed into Victoria Gate, between 1873 and 1885. Alterations include the addition of a double gate which supports the Royal Arms. Victoria Gate led the visitor towards Queen’s Square which is dominated by the statue of Queen Victoria who is portrayed in full command of her surroundings. The statue was sculpted by the Palermitan Giuseppe Valenti and was erected in 1891, marking the 50 year anniversary of Queen Victoria’s reign and marking a century of British Colonial Rule in Malta.1
Author: Melanie Farrugia