Xlendi is a village situated in the south west of the island of Gozo. The name is probably derived from the word "xelandion", a type of Byzantine vessel which may have anchored in the port. It is surrounded by the villages of Munxar, Fontana and Kerċem.
The tower guarding the mouth of the bay was built by the Grandmaster Lascaris in the 1650 exactly on 29 June. This was built so no pirates or Turks could disembark from this bay. This tower is still erected but being abandoned has great damage on the outer walls of the Tower. The Tower was quite important for the British Army in Malta as it was the only tower in the southwest of the island.