Buskett Gardens started off in the late 16th century by Grand Master La Valette as a hunting area. It was improved upon by successive Grand Masters.
The Gardens were mostly planted during the reign of Grand Master Lascaris (1636-57). The layout of Buskett has remained virtually unchanged to this day. Buskett (meaning a small forest) is crowned by Verdala Palace built by Grand Master Verdala in the late 16th century. The pine trees surrounding the palace were planted much later during the time of the British Governor Sir Arthur Borton (1878-1884).