St. Paul’s Catacombs are a typical complex of interconnected, underground Roman cemeteries that were in use up to the 4th century AD. They are located on the outskirts of the old Roman capital Melite (today’s Mdina), since Roman law prohibited burials within the city. St Paul’s Catacombs represent the earliest and largest archaeological evidence of Christianity in Malta.
The site was cleared and investigated in 1894 by Dr A.A. Caruana, the pioneer of Christian archaeology in Malta.
Source: Heritage Malta