Grandmaster De La Sengle planned the Gardjola Gardens in Senglea on a grid pattern in 1551.
The gardens hold the panoramic view that includes the docks in Marsa, Valletta, the entrance to the Grand Harbour and Fort St. Angelo. The sentry box placed on the tip of the bastion, il-gardjola, epitomises the role of the fortifications around the harbour.
On the sentry box there are sculptured various symbols of watchfulness, namely the eye, the ear, and the crane bird. The inscription in Latin assures the inhabitants of the harbour area to rest at ease, as the tower stands guard against any hostile force that may attempt to approach Maltese shores.