The Malta Historical Fencing Association (http://www.historicalfencingmalta.org/) was launched in November 2011 to promote the study and practice of historical sword fighting techniques in Malta. The association researches the techniques used in and around the Maltese islands between the 13thand the 19th century, and works with other organizations devoted to the study of traditional European martial arts around the world.
Among the weapons practiced by the Malta Historical Association are the Longsword, the Rapier, and the Sidesword. Apart from this practice, the association also holds public demonstrations, exhibitions and talks to promote and preserve this art.
The association’s official Sala D’Armi is the Mithras Swordfight Club, which has operated since 2005.
The club’s training hall is St. Publius Hall, in Floriana. Originally part of the crypt of the St. Publius Archipresbyteral Church of Floriana, built in 1733, the hall has been refurbished by volunteers from Floriana and currently serves as a community hall for the parish. The structure forms part of a series of underground tunnels and rooms, including a bomb shelter, and predates the church under which it lies, the latter having been rebuilt after it sustained severe damage during the Second World War when a direct hit killed 16 people who were sheltering in the same hall in 1942.
Author: Andrei Xuereb, President and Founder of the Association