This stone statue, representing a corpulent human figure, was found at Ħaġar Qim Temples during restoration works being carried out in 1949. Dating back to the Temple Period (between 3600 – 2500 BC).
This statue was made from a broad but shallow rectangular block of stone. There are two other similar statues to this one, both from Ħagar Qim, displayed at The National Museum of Archaeology.
Although it is relatively in a very good state the right hand is practically obliterated. It hangs down the side while the left one is held across the abdomen. A deep conical socket with one hole pierced through from the front and one from the back can be seen where there should have been a neck; possibly to receive a removable head. The statue stands on a rectangular pedestal, which has a ridge round the top and two rows of drilled dots below this on all four sides; dots which retain traces of red pigment, possibly ochre. The sex of the figure is not clearly indicated, making it difficult to infer whether this figure represents a male or a female.
Source: Heritage Malta