The Church of Pope Pius X is located in Santa Luċija, a modern town with a population of around 3,500 inhabitants. Santa Luċija was built up during the twenthieth century, soon after World War II. A vast area in the limits of Tarxien was in fact developed as a housing estate and named after a sixteenth century Chapel in the vicinity, which was dedicated to St. Lucy or “Santa Luċija”.
From the outset, the ecclesiastical authorithies provided this locality with a Church dedicated to Pope Pius X. The first stone was laid on the 6th of November 1969 by His Grace, Archbishop Michael Gonzi. Beneath the same stone lies a document specifying all the details regarding this special occasion. On the same day, it was also agreed that the patron of this Church would be Pope Pius X.
The Church was built in the style of Romanesque architecture, by architects Italo Raniolo and Edgar Caruana Montaldo. It was blessed on the 4th of June 1972. The main altar was executed in Pietrasanta, Italy, upon the design of the Maltese sculptor Ġanni Bonniċi (b. 1932). The Crucifix behind the altar which dominates the entire Church is also the work of Ġanni Bonniċi, as are the Madonna carved out of wood, the Chapel of the Sacrament and the Stations of the Cross.
Author: Amy Sciberras